Academic Coach – Freelance Consulting (May 2013–Present)
- Consult on client curriculum vitae and résumé presentation
- Craft methods of storytelling for cover letters and higher ed application statements
- Provide individualized feedback on strategies to increase competitiveness and professionalization
Interim Development Communications Coordinator – Harvard Law School Alumni Center (August–November 2013)
- Coordinated variety of projects: broadcast email, online alumni directory and career network tool, and other related web-based applications
- Used HLS CMS to create and update Alumni and Development webpages
- Edited content for related HLS Development and Alumni Relations pages
- Designed, edited, and prepared graphics, banners, buttons, and photos for use on Alumni website, broadcast emails, and Visix screens
- Troubleshot HTML technical issues and inconsistencies
- Researched and gathered news items for communications campaigns, speech-writing, and Twitter feed
- Coordinated with Alumni Relations and Annual Fund to design print projects on as needed basis
Editing, Writing, Design Assistant to Director of Communications – Office of Research & Sponsored Programs, UMass Boston (April 2012–May 2013)
- Guest Editor: Special Issue of RISC Quarterly (AY 2012-2013) on student-faculty research
- Copyedited and wrote profiles on both faculty and student research that appeared in print and online
- Coordinated, designed recruitment posters and brochures for departmental graduate programs
- Collaborated with UMass Boston faculty and Communications staff to produce design projects
Instructor for ENGL262G: The Art of Literature – Department of English, UMass Boston (September 2012–May 2013)
- Fostered discussion, led exploration of literary texts with approximately 20-25 students
- Developed daily lesson plans and writing assignments for writing-intensive seminar
- Developed course website (WikiSpaces), designed and instructed technology-based, interactive assignments
- Advised students on career goals and graduate studies
- Commented extensively on papers to prepare students for the university’s required Writing Proficiency Exam
Teaching Assistant for ENGL 406: American Realism with Professor Betsy Klimasmith – Department of English, UMass Boston (January 2012–May 2012)
- Shadowed Professor Klimasmith for a full semester of senior-level English class
- Designed handouts and lesson plans and taught unit on Theodore Dreiser’s novel, Sister Carrie
- Commented on student papers and responded to student queries when professor was not immediately available
Teaching Assistant for ENGL 293: Human Rights in Literature with Professor Rajini Srikanth – Department of English, UMass (September 2011–December 2011)
- Led weekly discussions for section of 20 students
- Designed accessible approaches to complicated literary texts in informal seminar
- Prepared students for quizzes, assignments, and tests
Copyeditor, Page One Graphic Designer – Sun Herald daily newspaper, Biloxi, Miss. (June 2010–August 2011)
- Primarily responsible for designing front-page layout and writing newsworthy headlines for Pulitzer Prize-winning daily newspaper
- Coordinated layout with Night Editor and copyedited local news, arts, and business sections
- Pulled, edited stories from The Associated Press wire to include in Local, World sections
- Implemented new tactics for creating, saving, editing graphics for both print and web use
Tutor in Literature and Political Science – Office of Student-Athlete Academic Support, University of Mississippi (August 2009–May 2010)
- Tutored student-athletes weekly in related subjects
- Developed quizzes and activities to make subjects more accessible and relatable
- Consulted with students weekly in writing lab and led group of 20-25 students in exam study sessions
Multimedia/Web Intern – Office of Media and Public Relations (now called Brand Services), University of Mississippi (May 2008–May2009)
- Designed web banners for 2008 Presidential Debate at University of Mississippi
- Posted content to web using CMS, copyedited calendar items
- Occasionally wrote stories for Ole Miss newsdesk
Copy Chief, Copyeditor, Senior Staff Reporter – The Daily Mississippian student newspaper, University of Mississippi (September 2006–December 2008)
- Heavily involved in student media and wrote up to 5 news stories a week
- Trained emerging copy editors, managed scheduling for copy desk, expanded house style guide
- Wrote weekly editorial and entertainment columns
Contracted/Freelance editorial contributor for publications and nonprofits, including (January 2007–August 2011):
- Weekly Reviewer, Columnist: Oxford Town entertainment guide (Oxford, Miss. 2009–10)
- Feature contributor: At Home Tennessee (May 2010)
- Writer/Designer for non-profits: Ballet Theatre South and Oxford Ballet School (2009–11)
- Editorial intern: WHAT? Media’s travel magazines (Sydney, NSW, June–July 2007)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly skilled, fastidious copyeditor/proofreader and copywriter
- Very organized and comfortable working under tight, time-restricted deadlines
- Technically minded: Familiar with Windows and Mac platforms, highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite desktop publishing software (InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop, Illustrator) and Microsoft Office
- Trained in multiple Content Management Systems (WordPress, SAXoPress, Joomla)
Funding and Awards
- Doctoral Fellowship, Department of English, Rice University. Fall 2014–Present.
- Graduate Fellowship, Rice Seminar: Forgery and the Ancient: Art, Agency, and Authorship, Rice University. Fall 2017–Spring 2019.
- Diana Hobby Editorial Fellowship, SEL Studies in English Literature 1500–1800, Rice University. May 2015–Present.
- Teaching Assistantship – First-Year Writing Intesive Seminar, Center for Written, Oral and Visual Communications, Rice University. Fall 2017.
- First Prize – Fondren Library Research Award, Friends of Fondren Library, Rice University. January 2017.
- Floyd L. Moreland Scholarship, Friends of the Latin/Greek Institute, City University of New York. June–August 2016.
- Competitive Summer Research Funding; Dean of Humanities, Humanities Research Center, and Department of English, Rice University. Summer 2016.
- Communications Assistantship, Office of Research & Sponsored Programs, University of Massachusetts Boston. Fall 2012–Spring 2013.
- Teaching Assistantships, Department of English, University of Massachusetts Boston. Fall 2011–Spring 2013.
- Mississippi Press Association’s Better Newspaper Contest design award: 2nd (2011) and 3rd (2010) places.
- Design work featured in NASAD student exhibition: Gallery 130 and Meek Hall. Oxford, Miss. (April 2009).
- Best Arts & Life writer, Southeastern Journalism Conference. Oxford, Miss. (April 2008).
- Department of Journalism Scholarship, University of Mississippi (Fall 2006–Spring 2009).
- Study Abroad Scholarship, University of Mississippi (Summer 2007).
- Knight Ridder Young Journalist Scholarship (Fall 2006–Spring 2007).
- Community-funded Scholarship (Fall 2006–Spring 2007).
Special Academic Projects
- Summer Latin Institute. City University of New York Latin/Greek Institute. Brooklyn College, The Graduate Center, June–August 2016.
- “Robinson Crusoe and the World of Real Voyages of Exploration.” The Imaginative Worlds of Daniel Defoe: Robinson Crusoe, Moll Flanders, and the Early Novel. Central Library, Copley Square (Rare Books Room), February 25–August 30, 2013.
- Researched William P. Trent Collection of Defoeana at Boston Public Library’s Rare Book and Manuscript Department. Independent research in spring 2012 semester culminated in original bookcase display (above).
- Researched with special privileges Book of Hours for Paris Use (MS M. 179) in Sherman Fairchild Reading Room at Pierpont Morgan Library. New York, NY.
- Researched Rice University Archives at Fondren Library’s Woodson Research Center. Independent research in fall 2015 semester culminated in original research plan.
- Curated case, “Robinson Crusoe and the World of Real Voyages of Exploration” in Boston Public Library’s rare books exhibit, Imaginative Worlds of Daniel Defoe. Copley Square location (March–May 2013).
- MA Advisory Board, University of Massachusetts Boston (Spring 2012–Fall 2012).
- Reader, Breakwater Review literary magazine, University of Massachusetts Boston (Fall 2011–Spring 2012).